School Starting After Labor Day

Gov. Larry Hogan has announced that Maryland's public schools will open their doors after Labor Day in future school years.

Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Sun

Autumn Smith, Reporter

Larry Hogan has made an executive order declaring that Maryland student will not return to school from summer break until after Labor Day.  For years, citizens all over the state have shown support for a post labor day school session.

There are so many advantages to post-Labor Day school sessions, both economic and social. For example, the extra time for summer vacation gives you more time to spend with your family and friends.  Governor Hogan said this about the executive order “Comptroller Franchot and I believe, and the people of Maryland strongly agree, that this Executive Order puts the best interests of Marylanders first, especially the well-being of our students. This action is long overdue, and it is simply the right thing to do.”

Other than the obvious additional free time advantage, there were other several benefits of the new school policy that contributed to the decision. An economic study found that starting school after Labor Day could create 74.3 million more dollars for the state. The new money created from the policy can be given back to the school systems for better supplies and technology. Two years ago a non-partisan task for including several different school officials issued a report saying “there was no compelling evidence that showed there was an impact on education starting post Labor-Day.

While there are many benefits to the post Labor Day school schedule there are a lot of politicians and school officials who disagree. The Washington post wrote that Hogan’s decision will “boost his popularity” but may cause problems later on.

School officials have said some cuts may need to be made like a shorter spring break, which can affect tourism. Democrats have shown opposition to the executive order. House speaker Michael E. Busch said “It’s certainly something that should have been built through consensus with the individuals that have a stake, meaning school boards, teachers, PTAs and educators as well as members of the general assembly.”

Many feel as though he should not have made the executive order and first needed to consider all the fact and statistics as well as consult the people it directly affects. Maryland State Education Association spokesman Sean Johnson said the new schedule would “worsen summer brain drain among students from poor socioeconomic backgrounds.”

While some politicians don’t agree with Hogan’s decision the majority of citizens strongly agree with it. Specific schools and school districts may apply for an education waiver excusing them from the schedule if they prove that it may cause complications with the education process. But unless your school district is exempt the post Labor Day schedule next school year your summer vacation won’t be over until after Labor Day.