Summer Jobs

Lauren Maxwell, Co-Editor-In-Chief

When being a student, you have priorities; priorities that cost money. Priorities that not only include pleasure, but achievement. Over the course of the year, students have many needs in order to survive the lifestyle of high school. Academically, there are fees, class fees; honors society fees, etc. to stay on top of being involved. Socially, students have other needs such as clothes, annual events, dances, outings, etc. And summer… Is just the time to catchup with these things of greatest importance.

Yes, some students have parental units to aid them with these demands. However, it is important for them to educate themselves with a seasonal job before entering the lifestyle of an adult, college. For younger teens, it can be a little more of a challenge in the summer to find and apply to a job, because browsing through the newspaper like adults, is just not going to work. However, they are able to do some things that are in an appropriate price range for their age. Such as babysitting, setting up a cleaning business, or dog/cat sitting. For older teens, who are just about ready to step into adulthood, more jobs in the summertime are available to them. Jobs such as lifeguarding, waitressing; being a busboy, being their own entrepreneur in a small cleaning business, and so on.

Even though the summer is looked at to be the vital season of relaxation, it can also be looked at as a prime time for productivity; to catchup or generate a strong savings account for the following school year that’s going to jump out at students financially.